Make sure you understand the following concepts -- go back to the applets if you need to:
- dilution factor (stated as a fraction or decimal)
- overall dilution factor (product of individual dilution factors)
- choosing the plate to count (30 to 300 CFUs)
- scaling up from the plate to the population size (multiplying by the inverse)
- setting up an appropriate dilution scheme to result in a countable plate
If you want a printer-friendly version of this module, you can find it here in a Microsoft Word document. This printer-friendly version should be used only to review, as it does not contain any of the interactive material, and only a skeletal version of problems solved in the module.
Copyright University of Maryland, 2007
You may link to this site for educational purposes.
Please do not copy without permission
requests/questions/feedback email: email@example.com